Tuesday 16 August 2011

Reflection on pre-course readings

I've been  a  teacher for more than  a decade but have not  experience teaching mathematics  to young learners. As  I  was  reading  this  book, it  gives me  the  courage to  teach  mathematics.  I found  out  that  knowledge of mathematics and how students learn mathematics are the most  important tools  that  I can acquire to be  an  effective mathematics educator.  Honestly,  I am a person who really hates  mathematics during primary school , but this  attitude change when I met my algebra teacher.  She was  really compassionate and  willing to teach me until  I grasped the concept of it.  In this experience,  I can relate myself to other  students who also  hated  mathematics.  If  the teacher  is  able to find ways  and  strategies to help them learn I think most of the students  will love mathematics.

There are  principles and standards that  has  been  designed for  teachers as guide and direction in teaching this subject released by  the (NCTM) or  National Council of  Teachers of  Mathematics. These  principles and standards  will help me and  other beginners in teaching mathematics.

There are many ways to develop children's understanding on the different  concepts like using  models and manipulative to  support  their  learning.

 I  was looking  forward  that  at the end of this  module,  I will be able  to teach  mathematics  and use the  knowledge and strategies  I will learn.  Teaching mathematics  will be a new  great experience for  me  as  an  educator but  I have  to do something to become  an  effective  mathematics teacher. Attending training, reading mathematics articles,  continuous learning and perseverance will be  my  keys to be a mathematics educator.

No comments:

Post a Comment